SEO (Search Engine Optimization) refers to all technical and marketing methods and know-how that allow a web page to be positioned as high as possible in search engine result pages (Google, Bing ...).
In order to optimize the referencing of your site, it is possible to intervene on many variables like URLs, keywords contained in your pages, incoming links, outgoing links and so on.
You may also wish to optimize your Google Map or Google Places for searches.
SEO is, therefore, the way you structure your site so that search engines understand it, analyze it and rank it optimally. But be careful not to focus solely on the search engines. You should also keep in mind your visitors and allow them to use your site in a clear and ergonomic way. This is why the job of an SEO specialist or consultant is sometimes tricky. His services are a mix of science and art in that the rules of the search engine are known, but the approach has to be created by him.
Each organization has its own objectives but here is a quick short-list:
• Increase incoming traffic via SERPS
• Target qualified prospects (whether in Malta or other countries)
• Have a viable and perennial positioning on the search engines compared to your competitors
• Lower your acquisition costs for your marketing
• Limit your dependency on paid channels
SEO is a complex discipline, the basics of which are very easy to understand. If you have a minimum of knowledge in HTML, a little common sense and time you are able to perform optimization of the SEO of your site. Moreover, applying the elementary basics is sometimes enough to make a difference.
Another advantage of SEO is that sources of information are numerous and free on the Internet.
To go further and develop real SEO expertise, you have to study many cases and practice as much as possible. This is why many people hire an agency or SEO specialist like websuccess.com.mt for their services.
To master the art of SEO, it is necessary to combine these 3 qualities:
• Writing original content for search engines but also your visitors. Avoid copying and pasting content that already exists on the web.
• Knowledge in marketing to find strategic keywords and match the needs of visitors with the content of your pages.
• Technical notions in order to structure and optimize the website and to make it accessible and understandable by the search engines.
We can distinguish 5 main steps in the development and optimization of a strategy of referencing "home" ie a strategy developed and carried out by you, without going through an agency specialized in referencing.
When you want to set up a referencing strategy, you first have to choose the keywords you want to use for each referral page. It's a lot of time and labor invested, but it's worth it.
At this stage, the main rule to respect is to avoid targeting too different keywords on the same page. For example:
• Keywords 1: "Buy apples in Malta"
• Keywords 2: "Buy carrots in Malta"
➢ Here you have to make a choice: target the sale of apples or carrots in Malta. The choice will be based on what you really offer on your page. And if you propose both articles, you will have to separate them and thus target each keyword on dedicated pages. You will be able to attract both Internet users interested in apples and carrots via Google.
Then we will weigh our analysis according to several criteria:
• The resources needed to achieve the objective: time, budget, staff.
• The level of potential traffic to be generated: do people type this word?
How many are they?
• The quality of the potential traffic to generate: are the users who are looking for this keyword in my target?
Editorial content is one of the most important variables of SEO. It tells the search engines what your page is talking about. Be careful though not to fall into the trap of writing only for search engines.
Indeed, remember that if you want to reference your site it is in order to generate targeted and quality traffic.
So meeting both the imperatives of SEO and the expectations of your target remains a difficult discipline, which requires real editorial skills: you have to be relevant, respond to the query of the Net surfers, be complete.
As you probably know, search engines do not read the contents of websites in the same way as humans. They should be helped to read and analyze your pages. To do this we must intervene on the HTML code of your pages. The elements for optimisation are the following:
• The HTML code
• The title tag
• The meta description tag
• The URLs
• The charset
When optimising these technical variables always keep in mind the keywords you have chosen to target. This step might need a bit of professional service from an agency or consultant.
In this step, you will work on the popularity of your site. Search engines rate your popularity based on what other sites think and say of you:
• How many sites are you talking about? For this point privilege the quality to the quantity
• What popularity do they have in turn? The popularity of these sites is evaluated in the same way as for yours: the vote of the external sites.
• What are they talking about in their own content? Here the search engines try to find out whether you have a real subject in common with the sites that point to you. If there is, then yes it is good for you, if not, then not good at all.
As with any strategy, the time comes to determine what has worked and what needs further optimization.The SEO strategy does not derogate from this rule. Especially as the techniques, the good practices evolve, it is necessary therefore always to be up to date.
The assessment is made in two stages:
• The technical assessment that takes place as soon as the optimizations are implemented, to be sure that there are no oversights, "breaks".
• The positioning balance must be in the form of regular "points" but spread out over time.
This is a positioning statement of the keywords you worked on.This phase could either be done manually, but be careful it may be very time consuming, or be automated, this is the case for SEO agencies.
What to analyze:
• Your positioning before optimizations and afterward, for a list of keywords you would have worked on. Record your position at each survey to assess progress
• The number of URLs / pages referenced to make sure that the whole site is accessible.
• The number of sites pointing to you and their quality.
• The increase in traffic generated by referencing (see analytical tool)
• The keywords that generate traffic
• Time spent by keyword (to evaluate the relevance of the keyword)
Click here to read more about SEO services and hiring a professional seo consultant